Monday, October 20, 2008

Worship Ain't Just Singing


Dictionary.com defines the word worship as follows: reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.

As far as I can tell, and correct me if I am wrong, the words "singing" or "song" are not mentioned here. I mean, singing is certainly one way we can worship. But, it's merely one of many ways we can do it.

I was listening to a podcast, and the speaker made the following comment: "Song guys have hijacked that word (worship). It is not theirs. When they say 'Join me in worship,' I say, 'nuh-uh...I'll join you in singing, and maybe some of us will worship.'"

I gotta say that I agree. Just because you are singing does not mean you are worshiping. I am A-#1 guilty of this. I find my mind wandering all the time during "worship." The worship leader may or may not be worshiping, but his primary goal (or job or calling) is to direct people towards God's holiness and love and forgiveness through song.

Worship takes many forms. If you want my honest opinion, we ought to worship the Lord in all that we do. Does that mean I have to walk around throwing out Bible verses and exhortations ad nauseum? No. But, it means I need to point people to Christ through my attitude, my actions, my words, my expressions, my everything.

Tough to do.

I distinctly remember a worship leader making the comment one time in a service that his prayer was that we (as a church body) would worship God and be as enthusiastic about Him as we are about our favorite sports teams. In fact, he made reference to a huge victory just the night before by the Georgia Bulldogs (my team of choice).

That comment has stayed with me because I want the same thing. Not just for our church, but for ME! I want to be more excited by what God is doing in my life, and in the lives of those around me, than I do about the SEC standings or an acrobatic Knowshon Moreno touchdown dive. But, the truth is that it doesn't always happen that way.

The verb tense of worship is: to feel an adoring reverence or regard for (any person or thing).We have lots of idols in our lives, don't we? We may not sing about them or bow down to them, but they are things we worship. Things into which we pour the best parts of our beings. Things to which we give ourselves away.

We were, in fact, created to worship. Not things. Not other humans. But God, and God alone.

It's OK to get pumped about your favorite team, or your favorite actor's new movie, or a new song from your favorite band, or a new book from your favorite author. It's not a big deal if you appreciate the finer things in life. But, we've got to put it all in perspective. Those things will not last, and those things cannot sustain you when you are at the bottom of the pit.

Lavish words of honor and praise on your Maker, your Savior, your Redeemer. Be kind to others because He loves you. Give because He has so blessed you. Serve because He serves you. Worship Him, and watch Him transform you from the inside out!

No comments: