Monday, January 19, 2009

Come in from the Rain


I woke up this morning. I am still breathing. My kids are healthy. My wife hasn't left me. I have a roof over my head, and the heat is still running in the house. I have a job. I can walk. I have friends. The list could go on and on. I have an overabundance of things for which I am thankful.

So, why is today regarded as the "most depressing day in history?"

Here's what one article said: Cold weather, fading Christmas memories and broken New Year resolutions mean this period is usually miserable, but the effects of the economic downturn makes this year worse than ever.

The article goes on to say:

Psychologist Dr Cliff Arnall has devised a mathematical formula that pinpoints today as Blue Monday.

He says there are six depressive factors which will come together including the winter weather, Christmas credit card bills and abandoned New Year's resolutions. Fears over job security, mounting debt and the house price collapse make this year the toughest yet.

Monday is regarded as the worst day of the week with many dreading the prospect of returning to work. Dr Arnall, 43, said: 'The credit crunch means today is potentially the most depressing Blue Monday we have had.'

You see that? There's a key word in that quote from Arnall: potentially. Do you know what potential means? It means it hasn't happened yet.

It'll happen IF you allow it to happen...and I don't mean your circumstances. I mean your attitude and your heart.

Don't buy in to the gloom and doom. Be positive and influence others for the good!!

No comments: