Thursday, April 3, 2008

Not at Your Best? You Need Rest!


It seems like lately that I am just dragging. Everywhere I go, and everything that I am doing, I am just sapped of energy.

I actually get a decent amount of sleep each night. Probably 7 1/2 hours per night on average. But I never feel rested. Likely because I rarely rest.


My wife and I both work full-time jobs, and we have all kinds of stuff going on during the week. Three nights of baseball, a couple Bible studies, and keeping up with two children can just wear you out. And, that doesn't include the housework and chores that pile up - laundry, dishes, dinner, yard work, taking out the garbage, etc.


But, next week we get a reprieve. Well, sorta. We're getting away for a few days for Spring Break. And, boy is it needed!

It'll be a great time to re-charge the batteries for the home stretch of school and baseball season.


It's easy to overlook rest - especially when you really enjoy all the activities of which you are a part. But, just like anything else in our lives, our tendency is to sacrifice the long-term benefits of rest for the short-term payoff of fun.


Perhaps you lead a crazy, action-packed, never slow down life. Maybe you prefer it that way. That's totally cool.
But, remember, we all need to make time to hit the pause button. Clear our minds. Take a deep breath. And, just inhale TRUE life. See the world around us without being caught up in it. Take the time to appreciate something maybe you have just taken for granted for years.

Pick out a day, a few days, or a week to slow down or get away. If you don't plan it, it likely will never happen.
And, you - and those you love the most - really need it.

And your good will become your BEST...if you rest.

No comments: