Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Owning the Wish


Let's face it. There are just some things in this life that we desire that we just won't ever get. These are things we'll never achieve, never attain, never receive no matter how badly we want them or how much we dwell on them. Things that would only become reality if Genies really did exist and granted us our requests.

But, believe it or not, there are some times when we wish for things that are well within our grasp. But, they are things that require discipline. Things that take time. Things that will only happen with determination.

Let me give you an example.

There's something I wish for quite frequently that I just don't have yet. Something that will certainly take discipline, time, and determination. Something many people have, that when I see it I become a little jealous.

It's a Bible that is tattered, weathered, and worn. One with wrinkled pages throughout. Lots of notes written throughout it. One like the famed Velveteen Rabbit that has been read and loved so much that it's falling apart. That's what I want.

But, to be quite honest, I am a ways away from having that. I mean, I am closer today than I was five years ago, but I'm several years away from it.

What's it REALLY gonna take? Opening it up. Repeatedly. Wrestling with it. Passionately desiring a closer relationship with God.

An awful lot of people own Bibles. Each year, the Bible is the number one book that is sold throughout the world. But, many of the ones I see are nothing more than table decorations. And, many times in my life, it was a dust magnet on my book shelf or bedside table.

But not any more. I have a wish. And, even more than that, God desires to honor my commitment even more than I want it for myself.

What's your wish?

1 comment:

Jamie Maddox said...

Great Post. I pray that your wish comes true. I wish that for me as well.