Monday, December 1, 2008

Mixed Reaction

Amy and I made up our minds on the way home from Athens on Saturday that we were going to wear our red & black proudly to church on Sunday - despite the humiliating loss to the lowly (and very nerdy) bumblebees.

As I made my way across the cold, wet parking lot yesterday morning, I was immediately met with scorn. The first words uttered to me were from a guy who walked past me and said, "wrong shirt," referring to my bright red with black stripes button-up. "Nah," I replied. "It's still the right shirt."

Throughout the morning I received mixed reaction to my attire. Astonishingly, I got more positive comments from folks than heckles. When one guy saw my shirt, his eyes got as big as saucers and he said, "Wow! I have a whole new respect for you for wearing that shirt today."

Even the pastor's wife, who loathes UGA, told me I was bold for wearing the shirt, but that she was proud of me for sticking by my school and my team.

I have to say - straight up - that I despise Georgia Tech. I'd almost prefer to go 1-11, with the one "W" being against Tech, than to go 11-1 and lose to them. But, as low as I felt after getting our tails beat by them, I couldn't let them take away my Dawg pride.

Sometimes you gotta be bold and stand for what you believe in - especially when it's unpopular. Many times, the results (just like Sunday for me) will surprise you!

No comments: