Monday, August 13, 2007

Creativity is Thriving

Each week I am amazed by the collective creative genius of our church staff. For the past 10 months or so, I have been privileged to be a part of a weekly "Creative Team" meeting that gathers to plan our Sunday morning experience at NorthStar. While some in the room are more outspoken than others, I can honestly say that since Fall 2006 each and every person in that room has contributed a bevy of amazing ideas.

With 12-15 minds working together at once, things can often get a little hairy, and the train has derailed on more than one occasion. But, it's a safe and FUN environment for all of us to share our thoughts and feelings about a topic, theme, or song that is on the table. One of the keys to this meeting being successful is that we all have a deep mutual respect for one another.

But, going beyond that, we all feel the freedom to be completely honest with one another. If someone throws out a horrible idea, the room will quickly let them know (in a very light-hearted manner, I might add). Likewise, when the room comes to a deafening silence and we're stuck, many times one person in the room will suddenly shout out the "perfect" idea that we've all been waiting for. It's awesome to see the light bulb come on for everyone in the room at once!


Often times, I feel like I am completely out of my comfort zone in that meeting. And, likely, that is why it's so rewarding. By no means do I consider myself to be a creative force. But, in the past year, the sheer fact that I have been in a room with a dozen people throwing out ideas has undoubtedly had a positive influence on my ability to think "outside the box."

No comments: