Thursday, September 27, 2007

Thanks for Sharing


I stopped by a large discount retail store this morning on the way into the office to pick up a couple items. If you do not know to which store I am referring, you'll figure it out soon enough.

As I was checking out at Aisle #1, the cashier began scanning my items. Evidently, I had interrupted a high-level conversation, but my presence would not preclude this dialogue from continuing. As I prepared to swipe my credit card, my cashier chuckles and yells over to the Aisle #3 cashier, "Man, now every time I burp, it tastes like watermelon! Or, when I hiccup."


It was a touching moment.

And, before you stereotype the individuals engaged in this exchange, know this: they were both women.

Now, I am all for "keeping it real," and for people being genuine. But, somehow I don't think this is what Jesus had in mind when he encouraged us to be authentic and transparent in our communication with others.


Needless to say, I will make a point of using the "self check-out" next time. And, I'll make sure to grab a pack of Watermelon Bubbleyum for the road.

No comments: