Thursday, October 4, 2007

Common Denominator

Today, I had the opportunity to attend Catalyst, a high-energy, cutting-edge leadership conference. In short, the two-day event is truly an incredible experience, and is held annually at the Gwinnett Arena.

I think what I noticed immediately upon arrival was the diversity. And, as much as I resist change in my life, and become uncomfortable when I am in an unfamiliar environment, today it was a welcomed change.

Interestingly enough, the Lord revealed something to me today that seems so basic and fundamental that you might say "duh" when you hear it. But it was huge for me.

The great revelation? That we, as Christians have one thing in common: that we are all covered by the grace of our Lord and Savior.
I know, I know - earth-shattering stuff, right? But, it's impossible to escape that simple fact when you and 11,000+ others are lifting your voices in unison in adoration of our Heavenly Father. And, for more than an hour today, through the amazing worship music, that's exactly what happened.

You see, many times as followers of Christ, we tend to focus on the differences we have among one another and completely overlook the very thing that bonds us all together: the blood of Christ.

Perhaps the greatest quote of the day came from one of my favorite authors, Patrick Lencioni, who has penned several best-selling business leadership books. Lencioni said, "Too often we are trying to educate and instruct people, when really all they need is a reminder."

And, that is what I received today: a great reminder. A reminder that even though we are all very different people, we have one common denominator: an amazing, giving God who loves us beyond measure.

No comments: